Thursday, February 23, 2012

Review of Queen of Kentucky


Title: The Queen of Kentucky
Author: Alecia Whitaker
Series:  
Chapters: 32
Pages: 375
Genre: Teen Chick lit
Rating: 4 stars
     The Queen of Kentucky by Alecia Whitaker is a teen book that is set in small town Kentucky. The author is originally from Kentucky, but part of me wonders if she has lost touch with her roots. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed the book, I just wish that book was more real.
     Ricky Jo Winstead is your typical country girl, she lives on a farm, but not a horse farm she doesn’t belong to the country club. When she starts high school she wants to change who she is. Luke Foster is her best friend and the boy next door. Luke is the typical country boy. When I picture a country boy Luke is pretty much it.
     Reading the book was like re living my childhood in parts, I could relate. The book does capture the typical teenage years  in Kentucky. I just wish that the book didn’t have so much cussing, and scenes of teenage drinking.
     What I didn’t like about the book was the fact that for the main character the author had to pick a name that made her seem like a country bumpkin. She also made it seem like all country girls who live on a farm want to get away from the farm.  Even with everything the book was a good debut novel. I would read more books by this author. Every Kentucky girl and country girl will enjoy this read. 


My favorite line from the novel is "I've been dreaming of the perfect guy when he's been right under my nose." Ricky Jo 

No comments:

Post a Comment