Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Review of A Bound Heart


A Bound Heart by Laura FrantzTitle:  A Bound Heart

Author: Laura Frantz

Chapters: 40

Pages: 400

Genre: Christian Historical Fiction Christian Historical Romance

Rating: 5 Stars

A Bound Heart took me on a journey from Scotland to Virginia.  A Journey I was expecting and didn't know I needed. A Bound Heart is the tenth book by Laura Frantz and the most emotional one to date. There was more twists and turns in it than The Mistress of Tall Arce and Love's Reckoning combined.  There was plenty of times through this one that I almost gave up on a happy ending, well not a happy per say just on the way I wanted the story to end. 

Ever since Outlander I've been on a bit of a Scottish Highland or Scotland setting in general, because something was missing from Outlander that a main stream series can't fill. And that's characters with strong faith and a clean story.  But that's what A Bound Heart gives readers.  A Christian historical fiction novel with romance set in the same time period of Scotland.  Though the story doesn't stay in Scotland.  The last Jacobite rebellion pretty much ruined the highland way of life. 


Magnus MacLeish and Lark MacDougall  grew up together on the island of  Kerrera but as adults their lives couldn't be more different he's the Laird of the castle and she's the keeper of bees and the stillroom.  When his wife dies unexpectedly  be he and Lark finds themselves indentured servants  headed across the Atlantic though for different reasons.   Both characters will have to hang to their faith to see them through. 

Much like with The Mistress of Tall Acre the character who most stole my heart wasn't a main character nor an adult but a wee child.  I loved seeing another hero in Laura's book have a strong faith.   I loved Magnus more than  I thought I would but not enough to knock General Seamus Ogilvy out of my favorite hero of Laura's spot but I do believe Laird Magnus MacLeish ties for first place. I'm still not sure will Lark ranks. 

A Bound Heart has me wanting to find more historical fiction books set in Scotland I'm not ready to leave Alba behind. For those not familiar with Scots, there is a Scots glossary at the beginning of the book.

I would recommend this book to  anyone who loves Christian Historical fiction and romance. Anyone who loves historical fiction in general as well as books set in Scotland.  This book is also perfect for fans of Outlander who would love a cleaner faith filled read. 

I received a e-copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

I also won a copy of this book from Goodreads. 



No comments:

Post a Comment