Monday, February 13, 2023

In Spotlight and Shadows by Rachel Scott McDaniel review


Title:
In Spotlight and Shadows

Author:  Rachel Scott McDaniel

Ch: 35

Pg:  256

Genre:  Dual time

Rating: 5 stars

Publisher: Barbour

    No one writes 1920s Pittsburgh like Rachel Scott McDaniel. I don’t know what it but every time I read one it’s like I’m in Pittsburgh in the 1920s. And In Spotlight and Shadow was no different. I am a sucker for dual time novels, and I love how Rachel weaves the historical story into the modern story in this one. Sophie Walters is a stage actress in 1920s Pittsburgh who finds herself in a bit of a pickle and the only one who can help is Sterling Monroe the man who’s heart she broke. While Elise Malvern is trying to overcome fear to become a violinist for the Pittsburgh Symphony when Peirson Brooks comes back into her life.


In dual time novels I tend to like one hero over the other but with this one I was swooning over both Sterling and Peirson equally though it took me a little bit to warm up to him, but when I did, I was hooked. I thought Sophie was a sweetheart who just needed the right person in her life to remind her that she mattered to God. I also found myself relating to Elise especially the grief of the loss of a mother. As it doesn’t ever go away you just learn to make it a part of one’s life. And sometimes music can help.

It was nice to meet Peirson after hearing about him Undercurrent of Secrets. As well as seeing Sterling again but as a hero this time. I also enjoyed seeing characters from Rachel’s previous books. So, I suggest you read her books in publication order.

One thing I noticed reading In Spotlight and Shadow was that 1920s Pittsburgh had a few things in common with 1920s Louisville but that was probably the case with most cities during that time.

I loved this one and I’m not afraid to admit that I laughed and cried with this one that’s how good it is.

 



 

 

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

I received a copy of this book from the author I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment