Monday, November 2, 2020

Colors of Truth review


 Title:  Colors of Truth

Author:  Tamera Alexander

 Ch: 43 plus epilogue

Pg:  504

Series: Carnton Book 2

Genre: Christian Historical fiction with a hint of romance

Rating: 5 stars

Publisher: Fountain Creek Press

     Colors of Truth is the second book in the Carnton series by Tamera Alexander and my favorite of to the series.  The novel is set in Franklin Tennessee at Carnton in 1866 at the end of the Civil War at a messy time in our history. But that the thing about history its messy, but we need to learn from it and in order to do that we have to look at the way that it was. However we don't have to view it in positive light. Tamera did a good job of finding the balance between the facts of history and showing  that it was wrong and evil.  In Colors of Truth she does this with her main characters Catriona O'Toole newly arrived from Ireland with her younger sister Nora. And Wade Cunningham who fought for the Union but is an undercover operative with the Secret Service Agent posing as a confederate soldier  in order to find counterfeiters. 

 

Catriona being Irish understands a little better than most what the freedmen and women are facing being hated for their skin and former status, while Catriona Nora are hated for where they are from that can be hidden to a point though Nora's red hair gives a hint and all doubt is removed   as soon as Catriona opens her and speaks with an Irish accent. Though she knows that even though she and Nora have faced hardship and heartache it's nothing to what Tempy and other former slaves have faced.  

 

Wade though raised in Southern Kentucky chose to fight for the union and is still fighting for that cause and it pains him to hide the truth from Tempy and Catriona, but he does it because he is still fighting for a better life for those like Tempy and Catriona.  

 

My two favorite secondary characters are Tempy and Nora,  I loved Tempy's wisdom and faith in the first book and she doesn't disappoint in this one.  I also loved Nora the little redheaded spitfire reminded me of my own sister at that age. 

 

Catriona is the character that I related to the most, her stubborn nature and her struggle to find the balance of being a sister to Nora and a mother figure.  That’s what I related to the most with her character the most because I to was trying to find the balance between two with my own younger sister after losing our mom though at 19 my sister was slightly older than wee Nora. Wade has become my favorite hero of Tamera’s he truly is a good man.

 

 

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone. 



No comments:

Post a Comment