Thursday, November 1, 2018

Review of Book Girl

Book Girl: A Journey Through the Treasures and Transforming Power of a Reading Life
Title:  Book Girl: A Journey through the Treasures and Transforming Power of a Reading Life 
Author: Sarah Clarkson 
Ch: 10 plus epilogue 
Genre: non-fiction, memoir 
Rating:  3.5 stars 

Part reading list part memoir Sarah Clarkson's Book is about her reading journey from childhood to adulthood and how books shaped her life.  Thanks in part to   a mother that read to her from the beginning even before I was born. (Which is something that I can relate to, as my mother did the same for me. I don't remember a time in my life that I haven't been surrounded by books.)  Sarah talks about how books can help build an imagination create a sense of adventure as well as lead to new friends.   This book can be read straight through even read in one setting. But its chapters were designed to be used when you needed that chapter based on where your reading journey was. To be read out of order and studied.  

I enjoyed reading this book I did indeed learn a lot.   I loved that some of my favorite books as a child and a teen were also Sarah's. It goes back to that C.S. Lewis quote "I thought  I was the only one."    The quote of, "Do you secretly relate to Belle's delight in the library in Beauty and Beast"   on the blurb  had me picking up the book.  Along with the title of Book girl. I've  always considered myself a book girl who like Sarah had a mother who start early reading me books and kept me surrounded by books all through my childhood and teens either though buying the books or visits to the local library. And as an adult I am still surrounded by books.  Books I've bought and keep my house stocked with. As well as the books I'm around at work I currently work as a library assistant   at my local library.  

Book Girl: A Journey through the Treasures and Transforming Power of a Reading Life by Sarah Clarkson is a book worth reading.  Though any stage of life.  

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment