Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Review of The Cumberland Bride


The Cumberland Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #5)Title: The Cumberland Bride

Author: Shannon McNear

Series: Daughters of the Mayflower book 5
 
Chapters: 35 plus epilogue

Pages: 256

Genre: Christian Historical fiction with a hint of romance

Rating: 5 stars


The Cumberland Bride by Shannon McNear is the fifth book in The Daughters of the Mayflower series, and my favorite of the series so far.  Shannon McNear is a new to me author as I haven't read anything else by her before. But The Cumberland Bride won't be the last.  She has three novella's I can't wait to dive into.    This book is set in 1794 on the wilderness road the war for independence has been won and Kentucky is officially a state going on two years when the Gruener family travels from Tennessee to land in Kentucky led by guide Thomas Bledsoe. Kate Gruener's father has warned her away from the handsome scout.  Kate a writer and storyteller at heart, wants to know Thomas story. That leads them both to find themselves in a dangerous situation on the Kentucky frontier.  
After living with the Shawnee for two years Thomas Bledsoe doesn't feel like he fits in either world. Has plans to never fall in love because he doesn't want to "leave another woman to cry over him."  But then he meets Kate Gruener and his plans start to fall apart. I was glad to see that the author showed how the Shawnee were, that a lot of their captives were actually adopted into the tribe.  That just like with the settlers some were good and some not so much. Very few novels I've read take this approach. 
  As I said this was my favorite of the series so far, I think part of the reason is the time period and the setting of my beloved Kentucky. But also unlike most colonial novels the story and characters reflex on my family's journey from the east to Kentucky in the 1700s.  On my mother's side an ancestor was captured by the Shawnee at least according to family legend. However on my father's side we had a German soldier who fought on the side of the Patriots and for his service was given a land grant in western Kentucky. So a bit of the story was personal for me.  I have to say that Thomas Bledsoe has found his way to my favorite book heroes list. 
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves historical fiction with hints of romance, fans of Laura Frantz's books as well as fans of Lori Benton's books and Michelle Griep. 

I won a copy of this book from the publisher through goodreads. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment