Saturday, December 8, 2018

Review of An Hour Unspent


An Hour Unspent (Shadows Over England, #3)Title:  An Hour Unspent

Author: Roseanna M White

Series: Shadows Over England book 3
 
Chapters: 33 plus Epilogue

Pages: 416

Genre: Christian Historical fiction, Christian Historical Romance

Rating: 5 stars  

An Hour unspent is the third and final book in the Shadows Over England series by Roseanna M White.  It's Barclay's story, the story that I've been waiting for since I read the first book in the series.  Barclay's the "older brother" of Rosemary and Willa and the rest of the rag tag group of orphans. He's a reformed thief who now uses his skills for the good of England.   
Evelina Manning is the daughter of a clockmaker who just may have the key to helping England win the war against German.  Barclay is sent to steal the secrets any way he can. But what he doesn't count on befriending both Evelina and her father. But he doesn't' feel like he would ever fit into Evelina's world.  But on that same note Evelina who walks with a limp do to a polio like disease as a child doesn't think any man can love her for herself.  She knows her former fiance didn't not really.  Can these two misfits find a place together. 
Out of the three books in this series, An Hour Unspent was my favorite, I loved Barclay and Evelina did finally grow on me after a while.   I enjoy books set during WWI but I haven't found many of the Christian fiction market.  So I was thrilled to discover that Roseanna had this series especially this year being the hundred anniversary of   the end of WW I.   
Evelina and Barclay are both flawed characters but they both grow throughout the book especially in their faith. I loved the ending especially when Barclay was able to "steal" the thing that his sister challenged him to steal.   Got a love an honorable reformed thief.  This was my favorite book of the series to me Roseanna saved the best character for last, but I am sad that this series is over. Barclay has been added to my list of favorite book heroes.  I look forward to the next book or hopefully next series from Roseanna M. White. 
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves historical fiction. WWI history especially if you want stories about the home front and the social aspects of the war like I do.  Not only I am a book nerd, I'm a history nerd. 
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment