Monday, June 24, 2019

Review of The King's Mercy


The King's MercyTitle:  The King’s Mercy          

Author: : Lori Benton

Chapters: 45 plus epilogue

Pages: 388

Genre: Historical fiction

Rating: 4 stars

The King's Mercy is the first book by Lori Benton that I've read. The description of a Scotsman exiled to the colony of North Carolina as an indentured after the battle of Culloden and the failed Jacobite rising drew me in for many reasons. I'm a sucker for books about 18th century highlands (thanks in part to Outlander and Laura Frantz' most recent book) and colonial America.  As well as going through Outlander withdraws and not ready to start book six yet because its massive. Plus, the story of exiled highlands parallels how part of my family made it to the new world.  I jumped at the chance to be part of the launch for this book.  And I was not disappointed. 

This is my first Lori Benton book and it won’t be my last. I’ve always be a sucker for historical fiction. What made me love this one even more was the strong faith of the heroine and a flaw hero who has to learn that there is mercy even greater than an earthly king’s mercy. But the fact that the author wrote the Cherokees in a fair light made me realize that she is an author who does her research beyond the “winning side’s” view of history.


I received a copy of this book from the author and publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment