Monday, July 22, 2019

Castle on the Rise review


Castle on the RiseTitle:  Castle on the Rise

Author: Kristy Cambron

Series:  Lost Castle Series book 2

Chapters: 35 plus Epilogue

Pages: 372

Genre: Christian Fiction, Christian Historical Fiction, Dual Time period

Rating: 5 stars

Castle on the Rise by Kristy Cambroon Is a book set in Ireland through two years ago. Told from the point of view of three different women. Maeve in the 1790s. Isabel during the Easter Rising and Laine in the present day. I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would because I ended up DNFing the first book in the series but I may end going back and reading the first book.  I didn't stop reading because of anything wrong with the book, it was just some of the family stuff the heroine was going through hit too close to home. 
I enjoyed the three different time periods from the point of view of three very different heroines, whom of which are shaped by Ireland and her struggles.  Maeve in the 1790s finds herself becoming more Irish and English as she understands and begins to see their cause as her own.  Isabel during the Easter Rising who sides with the Irish over her own English family.  I think many American's reading a fiction book about a country fighting for Independence view it though rose colored glasses, because of our own war for Independence. But the Easter Rising was more violent and bloody on both sides than was ours with fighting in the streets and bombs.  Innocent people being killed it wasn't as clear cut to who was right or wrong as most might think.  
Being in Ireland finally allows Laine to start finding her footing again. And maybe a fresh start.  Most of the present day story takes place between a castle and an Irish pub.  Which some may find offensive or take issue with that. Especially since a character and her daughter are staying about a pub. But in Ireland pubs are a way of life.  From dinner with friend and family to a place to go and enjoy music.  Pubs are pretty much the Irish equivalent to a family restaurant everyone's welcome. 
After enjoying this one I plan on going back and reading the first book in the series, the one set in France.  And the upcoming novel set in England.  I know want to go back and read the rest of Kristy's books. 
I would recommend this book to the readers who enjoy dual time period novels and history. As well as books set in Ireland. 
I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment