Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Review of Sherwood


Sherwood by Meagan Spooner | Waiting on Wednesday & Can't Wait WednesdayTitle:  Sherwood

Author: Meagan Spooner
 
Chapters: 15

Pages: 470

Genre: Retellings/ Legends

Rating: 4 Stars

I've always loved the story of Robin Hood.  Apart from being one of my dad's father stories and movies I was hooked on the animated Disney movie in which Robin is a fox (A literal fox.) and the animated cartoon called the Adventures of Young Robin Hood.  Not to mention all of the movies and even a BBC show.  But my favorite character has always been Marian.  TO me Marian's always been tough and can match Robin with a bow. But most adaptions don't show that.  I've only seen a cartoon and a TV show her as more than a damsel.  That was why I was excited for Meagan Spooner's new book even though I didn't really like her Beauty and the Beast retelling. 
     Sherwood by Meagan Spooner is a Robin Hood retelling with female Robin Hood. It was an enjoyable read. Even though I didn’t like the ending I do love reading about a strong and able Marian.  I would never have seen that ending coming and even though it’s not who I would have put her with, even the circumstances it works.  You don’t often get that in retellings, but to me Marian’s always been tough but other retelling you get a Marian that is a damsel in distress. In this book you get Marian picking up the bow and becoming the outlaw. 

If you like any version of the Robin Hood story and you also like retellings, I recommend picking this one up. 





No comments:

Post a Comment