Wednesday, August 14, 2019

The Rest of the Story Review


The Rest of the Story by Sarah Dessen | GoodreadsTitle:  The Rest of the Story

Author:  Sarah Dessen

Chapters: 24  

Pages: 440

Genre: Teen Contemporary

Rating: 4 stars

For me the last few Sarah Dessen books have been hit or miss. I loved her earlier books, but then when I read those I was a teenager and in my college years so it was easy to relate to. As well as the fact that with one of her books I went through something similar  to what the main character went through. So as a teen it was nice to see myself reflected in the pages of a book.  So I was iffy about picking up The Rest of the Story till I read the synopsis  and it's about a girl Emma Saylor who's going to spend part of the summer at her mom's family lake town with cousin's she doesn't really know. 

The two things that drew me in was the lake setting two sides to the lake, the locals and vacationers.  My cousins grew up in a lake town and spent plenty of summers at the lake with them, and the second her mom died years earlier.  After losing my mom a couple of years ago I can relate to stories about motherless daughters. Though I didn't lose my mom the way Emma lost hers. 

So The Rest of the Story was the perfect summer read for me.  But that being said even though I loved this Sarah Dessen book I think I've out grown her books and that's not a bad thing you do outgrow authors and that's okay. Because her books are great for teens and there are new teens discovering her books every day.  They make good summer reads for teens  rather or not you’re on the beach, at the lake or simply staying home.   

As for me I am thankful that I discovered her books as a teen because when I was a teen there wasn't that much YA fiction out that. 




No comments:

Post a Comment