Monday, July 30, 2018

Review of More than Meets the Eye


More Than Meets the Eye (Patchwork Family #1)Title: More than Meets the Eye 

Author: Karen Witemeyer 

Pages: 354

Series: Patchwork Family book 1

Genre: Christian Historical Romance Christian Historical fiction 

Rating: 3 stars 

More than Meets the Eye is the first book in the Patchwork Family series by Karen Witemeyer, and I have to say the name of the series fits. The Hamilton's the family that Karen writes about isn't your typical family. Evangeline, Seth, and Zach aren’t related to each by blood instead they are a patchwork family stitched together my necessity as children after an orphan train wreck.  They have become their own version of family. 

Zach as the oldest will do whatever it takes to protect his younger siblings Seth and Evangeline.  Seth has Asthma and Evangeline has one brown eye and one blue leaving the town of Pecan Gap, Texas to believe that she's cursed.  Then stranger Logan Fowler comes to town bent on getting revenge on Zach for what he believes to be past wrongs.  The one thing that Logan didn't plan on was falling for Evangeline. 

Karen's books here lately have been hit or miss for me, but I didn't enjoy this story.  Evangeline's strong faith despite the town's treatment of her showed what it means to turn the other cheek. I loved how protective of his siblings Zach was. However as an asthmatic myself I'm not conceived that by eating fish Seth was able to keep his symptoms at bay nor would coffee help. I guess I'll have to read up on asthma treatments in the 1800s. Though keeping away from dust and the like does help I'll give her that one. 

But all in all I did enjoy the story though the ending did feel a little rushed.  I do hope that the next book in this series is Zach's story I do feel like he deserves a happily ever after. 

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment