Monday, October 29, 2018

Review of Murder at the Flamingo


Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)Title:  Murder at the Flamingo

Author: Rachel McMillian

Series: Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery Book 1

Chapters: 28

Pages: 352

Genre: Historical Mystery

Rating: 4 Stars


Murder at the Flamingo is the newest book by Rachel McMillan.  It is the first in a new series. We meet Hamish DeLuca the baby from the Herringford and  Watts series all grown up.  He's Jem  and Ray DeLuca A new lawyer who's running away from his first court case. He ends up in Boston where his cousin Luca is starting a nightclub.  Once in Boston Hamish meets Regina  call me Reggie Van Buren who despite being the daughter of a wealthy Pastor and an heir of New Haven fortune doesn't want that life. She wants to live her own life.  Be self-sufficient just like the characters in her favorite movies.  She doesn't know how to take Hamish when she first meets him.  Hamish on the other hand almost falls for Reggie as soon as he meets her. But doesn't think that a girl like her would like a guy like him, with his anxiety and glasses. 
But then pretty much on opening night of his cousin Luca's club a murder happens. Hamish wants to clear his cousin and Reggie doesn't like the fact that some of the police want to write it off as an accident. Reggie wants to bring justice for the victim so the two team up to solve the murder.  
I have to say that I enjoyed Murder at the Flamingo more than I did Rachel's first series and I loved the Herringford and Watts series.  A series that you need to read first before you read this one. As there could be spoilers if you don't.   I liked Reggie's spunk, but I loved Hamish, the flawed hero who has to learn how to deal with his anxiety. Rachel who even says in the author's note at the end of the book that she herself deals with  anxiety put some of herself in Hamish, so in many ways it was an own voices novel.  I loved that Rachel had Hamish be the character with anxiety and not Reggie as it made Hamish a more relateable character. I don't know about most readers but after a while I get tired of perfect heroes.   I think Hamish has become one of my new favorite heroes.  An Nate is an awesome side kick I love with Nate compares Hamish to Clark Kent (the glasses) and superman (being the hero). A mention of my favorite comic book hero. What can I say I have a thing for the nerdy hero. 
I can't wait for the next book in the series,  Murder in the City of Liberty do to release on  May 28th 2019.  I also look forward to continuing  Rachel's other series in Three Quarter Time a modern romance series sent in Vienna.



I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

2 comments:

  1. This is one I *STILL* haven't read - a mystery to me since I did enjoy Rachel's 1800s historicals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it is, its own series it's a bit of a spin off from her first series.

      Delete