Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Review of A Refuge Assured


A Refuge AssuredTitle: A Refuge Assured  

Author: Jocelyn Green 

Chapters: 36 Plus Epilogue 

Pages: 413

Genre: Christian Historical Fiction/ Christian Historical Romance 

Rating: 5 stars 

A Refuge Assured is the first book that I have read by Jocelyn Green.  Though it won't be the last book.  Though I love American history some of the events in the book I wasn't familiar with mostly the events dealing with the French Immigrates. The Whiskey Rebellion I knew about, but the French immigrates I didn't, which is sad that it wasn't thought in any of my history classes in school.  But what makes it even worse is that these French immigrates seeking refuge in America is also part of my family's history but I didn't even know it till I started researching my family tree for a library class I was taking. 

Vivienne Rivard has fled Revolutionary France a lace maker by trade who just so happens to be related to Liberty Lawson from the The Lacemaker by Laura Frantz love how those two books are tied together, she has to find a new means to support herself in the United States and the young boy left to her care. She discovers a talent for baking.  Which leads her to find a job as a baker at the Tavern owned by Tara.   It's there that she meets Tara's brother Liam Delaney a militiaman and veteran of the American Revolution.  After the war and saving money by working as a teacher in order to buy his own land.  After the horrors he saw in the war.   Just ad Vivienne wants to forget the horrors she saw during the French Revolution.  She also can't understand why American citizens are celebrating the Revolution because unlike the American Revolution which was mostly bloodless in the sense that it was fought on the battlefield.  Vivienne watched women and children including family members die by the guillotine simply for being lace makers. 

I've loved history since I was a kid, with the Revolutionary war and Colonial America being the favorite time period as well as the state history of my state. Once I got to high school and took three years of high school French which I can still read and somewhat translate but can't speak a lick French history also become a favorite and this book has both.  I am looking forward to reading other books by Jocelyn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment