Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Between Two Shores review


Between Two Shores by Jocelyn Green | GoodreadsTitle:  Between Two Shores 

Author:  Jocelyn Green 

Chapters: 33 plus epilogue 

Pages: 400

Genre: Christian Historical fiction 

Rating: 3 stars 

Between Two Shores by Jocelyn Green is the second book by her that I have read, I did enjoy reading it but I didn't love it.  So it took me a while to get through it.  While I didn't love it the writing and the plot was excellent, I haven't read many books set during the French and Indian War or the Seven Years War as it was known in Canada and Europe let alone one set in Canada.   I did enjoy how Jocelyn wrote the Mohawk in a truthful light. With the characters in the novel though it wasn't always easy to see who the bad guy really ones or to figure out who was hiding secrets.  

Catherine Duval or Catherine Stands Apart is a woman standing between two shores or two worlds I love how the title Between Two Shores reflects and tells a lot of the story in three simple words. Catherine the daughter of a Mohawk mother and French father and she doesn't feel like she fits in anywhere.  And while I don't think we can ever know for sure how historical people who were of mixed race of the settlers and the Native Americans truly felt Jocelyn Green gives us an example of how one fictional young woman handled it.   She was true to facts about the Mohawk including the fact that they are indeed a matriarchal society. I've noticed that very few authors write Native Americans in a truth light. Outside of Jocelyn Green the only two authors I've read and can think of off the top of my head are Lori Benton, and Laura Frantz.

A word of caution going in, this is a Historical fiction novel on that note I would recommend this book to people who enjoy historical fiction have read Jocelyn's previous works or are fans of Lori Benton and Laura Frantz 



I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment