Saturday, January 11, 2020

Discussion 1 Heidi Read Along




Hosted by Amber at Seasons of Humility
~ ~ ~
Heidi: Chapters 1-8

Discussion format: your favorite quotes, general impressions, and three questions to answer for each week's reading
Favorite Quotes*
“Heidi was never unhappy, for where she was she found something to interest or amuse her.”
“Long enough to hold two persons, for Heidi had a way of always keeping close to her grandfather whether he was walking, siting or standing.”

General Impressions
I loved re reading Heidi and the re read confirmed that the memories I had from Heidi were indeed from reading the book as a child. It’s one of a hand full of books from my childhood in which I actually have memories of reading the book that aren’t confused with the movie.  I am reminded how much of a loveable child Heidi is. I was also reminded how much I didn’t really care for Dete.



Discussion Questions

Answer any or all three of these questions in the comments section or in your own blog post.

1. Which character ended up surprising you most in these first eight chapters? I have to say the grandfather imply because at first he didn’t want Heidi to stay with him, and in his own way even though he didn’t really say much he built things to make life in the cabin easier for Heidi and starting helping do things at the grandmother’s house.

2. Do you think you would enjoy living the way Heidi's grandfather does? What would you like or dislike about that kind of life and home? I would enjoy the farm and homesteading aspect but  there’s no way that I would want to live like a hermit and I would need electricity and being around people. 

3. Which scene have you found most touching so far? Most amusing? Most touching was the grandfather helping Heidi make her bed and building her stool cause to me it was his way of showing that he was welcoming her. Most amusing was Heidi hiding the bread for the grandmother in the closet.


Join us next Friday for our second discussion! (Chapters 9-13)

*Johanna Spyri, Heidi, Kindle version (A Public Domain Book) 46, 49



3 comments:

  1. How fun that you read this as a child too! I'm enjoying it too. I loved how the grandfather took care of Heidi. Good post and looking forward to sharing more thoughts next week.v

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you're loving the re-read! And it's neat that you have distinct memories of reading the book as a child. :) I agree that Heidi is quite lovable! Great responses to the questions too! I agree with you and Julie that it's lovely how Heidi's grandfather is so much sweeter than you expect him to be. Glad to be doing another read-along with you!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! It is so fun to read this book again. I agree, it would be hard to live without electricity! I love the part about the Alm-Uncle making Heidi all of her things, too!

    ReplyDelete