Friday, January 31, 2020

Heidi Read along Discussion 4



Hosted by Amber at Seasons of Humility
~ ~ ~
Heidi: Chapters 5-9 (Part 2)

Discussion format: your favorite quotes, general impressions, and three questions to answer for each week's reading
Favorite Quotes*
“I must read one of the hymns now; Heidi told me to,” he went on to inform them’
“God arranges everything for us, so that we need have no more fear or trouble or may be quite sure that all things will come right in the end.”
“But then we must never forget to pray, and to ask God to remember us when He is arranging things so that we too may feel safe and have no anxiety about what is going to happen.”
“I have been thinking all day what a happy thing it is that God does not give us what we ask for even when we pray and pray and pray, if He knows there is something better for us; have you felt like that?”
“My dear Uncle! My dear Uncle! How much we have to thank you for! It is all your doing! It is your caring and nursing-“
“And God’s good sun and mountain air.” He interrupted here, smiling.”
“So you see, Peter, God is able to bring good out of evil for those whom you meant to injure, and you who did the evil were left to suffer the unhappy consequences of it.”
“ Nothing strengthens our belief in a Kind Heavenly Father who never forgets even the least of His creatures so mush to know that there are such people, full of goodness and pity for a poor useless creature such as I am.”
“Heidi, read me one of the hymns! I can feel I can do nothing for the remainder of my life but thank the Father in Heaven for all the mercies  he has shown us.”



General Impressions
I loved this sweet story overall.  I was sad to see it end but I did I like the ending. It was nice to see all of the people that Heidi cared about being in the same place. It was also good to see Klara getting better.  After reading this book I now want to watch the movie. This is one of a hand full of books from my childhood that I’ve separate memories of reading the book then watching the movie.  I remember the book because I read it, not because I’m confusing it with the movie, and the Shirley Temple Heidi is still my favorite.


Discussion Questions

Answer any or all three of these questions in the comments section or in your own blog post.

1. What did you think of Peter's reading lessons and Heidi's teaching methods? I think that Heidi can of tricked him into learning to read. She had be a little sneak when she wants to be. It reminder me of when I try to help my cousin to learn to read we were the same age but I had started reading at four and his teacher in first grade was teaching in a way that was getting through to him.

2. Which scene did you find the most beautiful or memorable in these last chapters?  The grandfather’s talk with Herr Sessaman to make sure that Heidi was taken care of when the time came for the grandfather to leave this earth. It showed that out of Heidi’s two remaining relatives he was the one that truly to did love and care about.

3. If you could step into the pages of the book, what would you be most eager to experience? (A night gazing at the stars from the loft? Waking up to the sound of the wind through the fir trees? Sitting among the flowers and goats on the mountain? Or something else?) For me if I could step into the pages of the book I would chose to spend as much time as I could with the grandfather, it would be a bit like having my own grandfather back if only in the pages of a book or my dreams.

Thank you so much for joining the Heidi read-along!
It's been a joy to read and discuss the book with you. :)
*Johanna Spyri, Heidi,(A Public Domain book)  247, 269, 295, 301, 302, 313, 322, 326

3 comments:

  1. Wasn't reading this so fun? I thought it was such a sweet story plus I didn't remember all of the spiritual moments. I truly loved those. I too enjoyed the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true, about how lovely the last part of the book was as Heidi was surrounded by the people she loved. :) And I agree that it's really sweet the way the grandfather wanted to make sure Heidi would always be provided for!

    I love your answer to question #3. ♥ The grandfather is a wonderful character, and that would be so special to spend time with him up on the mountain!

    Thank you so much for participating in this read-along and others! It's great to hear your thoughts and to discuss great books with you. :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that everyone was together, too! It was such a nice wrap-up!

    I've seen the Shirley Temple version twice and now want to see it for a third time! She was a perfect choice to play Heidi. I'm interested in rewatching it because I know that it has a different ending.

    It was fun to be in the read-along with you!

    ReplyDelete