Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Heidi read Along discussion 3


Hosted by Amber at Seasons of Humility

Heidi: Chapter 14 (Part 1)
and Chapters 1-4 (Part 2)

Discussion format: your favorite quotes, general impressions, and three questions to answer for each week's reading
Favorite Quotes*
“At last he too folded his hands, and with bowed head said in low voice, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before thee and am not worthy to be called thy son.’ And two large tears rolled down the old man’s cheeks.”
“Come along, Heidi! The sun is up! Put on your best frock, for we are going to church together!”
“God was good to me when He sent you to my hut.”

General Impressions

I love that Heidi is getting used to being back home. Reading Hymns to the grandmother but more importantly her child like Faith leading her grandfather to repent and also finding Joy in the Lord.  The grandfather keeping his promise to move to the village for the winter so Heidi can go to school.  And he starts taking her to church.  Reading this book as an adult I didn’t realize how much Faith plays apart in the lives of some of the characters.

My grandma finally finished unpacking from her move downsizing into an apartment and found my grandfather’s copy of Heidi that she gave me. It’s another book that I’ll treasure because I’ve discovered that it has notes in it he made from while he read the book to me as a child.  
I looked up the meaning of Heidi and discovered that it’s a pet form of Adalheid and means Noble one.  

Discussion Questions

Answer any or all three of these questions in the comments section or in your own blog post.

1. Which scene in this section made you the most happy when you read it? Heidi’s childlike faith leading the grandfather to repent and find his own relationship with God.

2. In what way has one of the characters inspired you? Heidi and her child like Faith.  To me it’s an example of the kind of faith God wants us to have.

3. How would you feel about living in the "mansion" in Dörfli where Heidi and her grandfather spend the winter?  Short term I wouldn’t mind it but I am a sucker for central heat and electricity. But it would be a nice little escape for a short period of time. 

*Johanna Spyri, 
Heidi, Kindle version (A Public Domain Book) pg, 188, 189, 192
Join us next Friday for our fourth and final discussion
! (Part 2: Chapters 5-9)

4 comments:

  1. Aren't the faith elements just beautiful? I love them! And I love your observation that "To me it’s an example of the kind of faith God wants us to have." How true! How special that you have a copy with notes from your GRANDFATHER! That is great! I love your quotes you chose. I love repentance stories! The grandfather's sincere repentance and turning was heart-warming. Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Julie--that's so wonderful that your grandma found and gave to you your grandfather's copy of the book! ♥ What a blessing!

    I also agree with you both that the emphasis on faith in this story is lovely. :) Heidi and the grandfather are both such great characters!

    Regarding your answer to question #3, I'd probably start missing heat and electricity pretty quickly too!

    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences with the book. :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll treasure the book, I knew he had a copy of the book but I never knew that he had made notes in it. We've always been a family who treasured books and reading and it was my grandpa who started it even with only an eight grade education he knew that being able to read and even the love of reading would open doors to more education.

      Delete
  3. That's really interesting about Heidi meaning "Noble one"! I didn't know that, so thanks for sharing your find!

    ReplyDelete