Monday, November 8, 2021

The Ice Swan by J'nell Ciesielski review

 Title:  The Ice Swan

Author:  J’nell Ciesielski

Ch: 33 Plus epilogue 

Pg:  400

Genre: Historical fiction, Historical romance   

Rating: 4.5 stars

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

 

The Ice Swan is the newest book by J'nell Ciesielski and is set in Paris during The Great War though we get one chapter in Russia.  Sventlana Dalsky is a Russian Princess who's also a Ballerina who has fled to Paris to escape the Red Army and the Russian Revolution with her sister and mother.  She ends up needing help, help that comes in the form of Doctor Wynn MacCallan and a a marriage of convenience.  She accepts.

This is the second book of J'nell's that I've read, and I haven't been disappointed yet.  She knows how to thread romance through a story without it being too much.   The Ice Swan to me was a bit of an Anastasia retelling but with a happier ending more like the animated movie from the 90s Though I wanted a little more Russia I understand why we only got a chapter. But I loved the Paris and later Scottish setting.    Not mention it had one of my favorite historical romance tropes marriage of convenience or as I like to call it marriage of necessity a trope I only recently discovered I loved and now I can't get enough of books with it.  The Ice Swan like most of J'nell's Ciesielski lean more towards main stream historical but they are clean no language and any implied steamy scenes are off the page and not mentioned.  The Ice Swan was a wonderful read and I look forward to J'nell's next book The Brilliance of Stars that proposes the question of What if the Winter Solider fell in love, what can I say that tagline has me hooked.



 

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment