Monday, March 14, 2022

Beautiful Little Fools by Jillian Cantor review

 Title:  Beautiful Little Fools 


 Author:  Jillian Cantor

 Pg:  336

 Genre:  Historical mystery, classic retelling

 Rating: 4 stars

 Publisher: Harper Perennial

 

I have to say this is the first The Great Gatsby retelling that I have actually enjoyed. Though I've only read three this one being the third one. I didn't finish one and I muddled through the other one only to be disappointed.  But Beautiful Little Fools by Jillian Cantor was everything I wanted in a Gatsby retelling.  Including the title being taken from my favorite line in the book. And being told from the point of view of the women in the novel. Daisy, Jordan, Catherine, and Myrtle. 

The Great Gatsby has been one of my favorite books since I first read it as high school junior sitting in classroom in the same town Daisy and Jordan grow up in. Heck I even had my senior prom at the hotel were Daisy gets married in the book.  After reading Gatsby I wanted more about Daisy I wanted her backstory. And Jillian Cantor gave me that even though I'm pretty sure it's not the backstory that Fitzgerald would have given her, but I loved it.  Though I will admit it doesn't change the opinion my sixteen-year-old self had of Daisy but It did help me understand her.  

 

I hope Beautiful Little Fools is just a taste of The Great Gatsby retellings we have to look forward to. Since this is a mainstream historical fiction there is language and some steamy scenes.

 

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment