Monday, March 21, 2022

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

 Title:  Number the Stars

Author:  Lois Lowry

Ch: 17

Pg:  137

Genre:  Historical Fiction

Rating: 5 stars

Publisher: Houghton Miffin Barcourt

 

As C.S Lewis once said, " A Children's Story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest." And while I wouldn't consider Number the Stars by Lois Lowry a children's book that one would enjoy reading do to the nature of the story. It is one that is not just for children therefore making it a good children's story.  Though this book is 33 years old having first been published in 1989 and going on to win the Newbery Medal in 1990 it is still a book that relevant today. 

 

How I feel about this book having read it as an adult now is still the same way I felt when I first read it 25 years ago as a 10-year-old. The same age Annemarie and Ellen were in the book.  It hit me harder than my classmates as a fifth grader because my best friend is Jewish, and I could easily put myself in Annamarie's shoes and that still holds true today. But at 10 I hoped that if put in Annemarie's shoes I would act the way she did. This book was my introduction to the Holocaust and WWII as part of my fifth grade reading list. I have to say this book still needs to be read today and it needs to remain on elementary reading list. The main characters are 10 years old and the book is written for 10 year old in a way that they can grasp the subject.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment