Monday, March 11, 2019

Review of Drums of Autumn

Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)
Title: Drums of Autumn
Author:   Diana Gabaldon
Ch: 71
Pg: 1070
Series: Outlander book 4
Genre: Historical fiction, Historical romance, time travel
Rating:  4 Stars
Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon is the fourth book in the Outlander series. And two me the first book in the series that starts turning it in two a family saga instead of a romance between the series main characters of Jamie and Claire. As in this book Jamie’s and Claire’s daughter Brianna starts to play a bigger role in the books as does Roger Mackenzie Wakefield. The Oxford history professor. 
     Outside of Outlander the first book in the series Drums of Autumn is my favorite book. I think that’s mostly due in part to fact that I like Roger more than Jamie I know it’s an unpopular opinion but it’s mine.  This book to me was the most emotional of the books so far. There were a few scenes in this one that I either skipped or skimmed over for personal reasons.
     Diana did her research for this one. She got the anger and reaction spot on for a father would react to hearing a certain type of news from his daughter. And not just for the time period. It’s the emotions that I think even a modern father would feel. They just couldn’t react the way Jamie did.
     As much as I enjoyed the Scottish highland setting of book 1 and part of book 3 I am looking the backwoods 1760s North Carolina. As a history nerd American Colonial history leading up to the American revolution is one of my favorite time periods.
     I am looking forward to book 5 The Fiery Cross and hope that Brianna and Roger continue to play a big part in the series as well as Jamie and Claire and I also want to see Ian again.  Drums of Autumn was my favorite of the series so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment