Sunday, November 17, 2019

Christy Read Along Final Discussion


Seventh and Final discussion! (Chapters 40-46)
Christy Sixth Discussion (Chapters 33-39)  
Discussion Format: Your favorite Quotes General Impressions, and three questions to answer for each week’s reading.
Quotes*
“I’ve known a few girls in my life, Christy, but I don’t believe I’ve ever met one as stubborn and as know-it-all as you are.”
“You mightn’t guess it, but Neil is a man who carries dreams in his heart.”
“Lord you are the Creator; I am the created. I am helpless, as helpless as all other men. As a doctor I thought I knew something. Now there is nothing more that I can do for Christy. Nothing at all. So I offer back you this love you gave. It’s all I have to give You, God. Here are our lives-hers and mien- I hold them out to you. Do-with us-as You Please.”
General Impressions
      I have to say I was surprised by the ending, but in a good way. I was happy to see that Doc MacNeil realized that he needed God. I just wish it didn’t take Christy being so ill.  To me though the ending did seem a bit sudden and rushed.  But I did enjoy it. I’m going to miss almost all the characters as well as Cutter Gap. I’m now on a mission to find the TV show I am hoping it’s on DVD now. 
     Reading my mom’s copy of the book that was my grandma’s before her with both their notes in the book was like reading the book with them.  I was able to discuss the book with my grandma so that added another layer to my reading of the book. And reading my mom’s detailed notes in the book was like having her here with me as I read the book. And writing my own notes in the book was almost like sharing my thoughts with her. I just wish I had read Christy sooner when my mom was still here to talk about the book with me. But even though it’s cliché to say I know things happen for reason.  And as readers we tend to read some books at the right moment even if at first it doesn’t make sense to us then.   I know kind of want to read other books by Catherine Marshall 
Questions
1.  Which Story of Sickness, whether hopeful or heartbreaking affected you the most?  Christy’s mainly because it showed MacNeil that he had no control over life.  Which I believe was a turning point for him.
2.  Were you satisfied with the conclusion of the story? If so, what did you like most about these last chapters? If not, what do you wish might have been different? I was satisfied with the ending even though it did seem a bit rushed. Because of the simple fact that Christy didn’t choose to be with either MacNeil or David. The fact that the book ended the way it did didn’t bother me because Christy really wasn’t in a place to choice.  
3.  What was your favorite part about Christy? Do you plan to read the other by Catherine Marshall, either fiction or nonfiction?  My favorite part about Christy was simply watching her grew through the course of the novel. I do plan to read other books by Catherine Marshall and  I think I am going to start with Julie next.
*Catherine Marshall. Christy. (New York: Avon,) 500, 508, 558

2 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed reading your thoughts on CHRISTY! I too liked that Christy's illness showed doctor MacNeill that he was not in control of life and death and ultimately led him to yield to the Lord. How special that you were able to read all of your mom and grandma's notes while you read the book. I too am going to miss all of the characters of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the ending of the book came as a happy surprise to you! The Christy TV series is available on DVD. :) I purchased it on Amazon back in 2011, and unfortunately it looks like new copies are rarer now and more expensive. :( But there are some used ones out there, including ones on eBay, that aren't terribly priced. There are also a few follow-up movies sold separately, and I've seen at least one (maybe two) of those. But not all the same actors from the TV show are in those movies, which is a bummer!

    It's so special that you have that copy of the book with your mom's and grandma's notes--and now yours too! I love that you were able to discuss the book with your grandma and to have such a wonderful reading experience. ♥

    Your thoughts on question 2 are really interesting! That's a great point about the fact that Christy wasn't in a place where she could choose either man, being so sick, but the book still leaves the reader satisfied with the general direction her story is headed. :)

    I'm so glad you enjoyed the read-along, and I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts and your reading experience!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete