Monday, November 4, 2019

Discussion 5 Christy Read Along



Christy: Chapters 26-32
Discussion Format: Your favorite Quotes General Impressions, and three questions to answer for each week’s reading.

Favorite Quotes*

‘It’s been the delight of my life to find God far more common-sense and Practical than any human I know. The only time I ever find my dealings with God less than Clear-cut is when I’m not being honest with him. The fuzziness is always on my side, not His.” 
 “Ask questions, never be afraid of the truth.”
“The Master cares. He suffers with us. He weeps when we weep. He aches when we ache. He cares. “
“Preach the gospel, David, teach it, reach to the hearts of men. That’s your business. Then the fruits, including the reforms in other areas, will follow as fruits.”
“You’d be surprised how much Children can tell us ossified adults, if we’d only stop to listen.”

General Impressions

     With this week reading I’m finding that I liking Miss Alice even more.  It’s easy to see that she does indeed have a strong Faith. That believe is stronger than David’s. And I have to say David jumped the gun in proposing to Christy.  The fact that Christy stayed overnight at Opal’s despite her own fear because she didn’t really want Opal and the kids to be alone and also because she didn’t want to go back to the mission and have the men campout outside Opal’s to think that Christy was trying to take back a message. It does that Christy is trying to and slowly learning the ways of the mountains and her people. Also on a personal note I loved how my favorite quotes in this reading was also some of my mom's favorite as well. 

Discussion Questions

Answer any or all three of these questions in the comments sections or in your own Blog Post!
1. What turn of events shocked or surprised you the most in this section?  I mean technically the feud should shock but seeing as I live in the state and neighboring that was home to one of the most famous family feuds in history the Hatfield’s and McCoy’s it doesn’t. What shocked me the most was the fact that Isaak’s grandfather was pretty much making him dig his father’s grave by himself. And like Isaak said he didn’t know how far down to dig.  But I was glad to see that Rob stopped on his way to go finish to him dig and then David took over for Isaak and finished the digging.
2. What do you think drove Christy to climb a mountain? Have you ever been driven to something out of the ordinary or especially challenging to you? What was the experience like?  I think the simple fact that Christy wanted to be able to prove to herself that she could do it drove her.    For me challenging for me was either going whitewater rafting or repelling for the first.  It was terrifying at first but after a few minutes when I realized I was actually doing it; it was actually fun.
3. What was your favorite part or performance from the School’s last-day festivities?   My favorite part of the last day festivities for the school was Mountie O’Teale giving the opening. She’s come a long way from the child who couldn’t speak without stuttering to being able to speak in front of room full of people including classmates and parents and neighbors.  As well as the people waiting outside.

*Catherine Marshall. Christy. (New York: Avon, 1968)341, 365,365, 369, 374

Join Us Friday for our Sixth Discussion (Chapters 33-39)  

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't it so sweet to see how far Mountie has come? I love that she was able to give the opening speech for the class. Just shows what love and confidence can do for a person. Loved your quotes! Isn't Miss Alice so full of wisdom and peace? I love how patient she is with both Christy and David. David is young and headstrong and definitely needs some spiritual growth and guidance. He and Christy never seem to be a couple to me. I think he assumes a lot with her, but I honestly think she is a deeper thinker than he is. I love that she questions and grows in her faith, we don't see that with David. Hard to believe not many more chapters left in the book...so much stuff is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your (and your mom's!) favorite quotes from this section. ♥ Miss Alice's lines are so lovely!

    I agree with your general impressions, that it's a sign of maturity and growth in Christy for her to stay with Opal and the family in their time of need. And I also agree that David is getting ahead of himself with that marriage proposal! He likes Christy, sure, but is he really aware of what she needs or how he might need to grow first?

    Great responses to the questions! It sounds like you've done some really adventurous things! And Mountie's progress is definitely sweet and inspiring. :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete