Tuesday, April 20, 2021

The Rose Code by Kate Quinn Review

 Title:  The Rose Code

 Author:  Kate Quinn

Ch: 85 plus prologue and epilogue

Pg:  624

Genre:  Historical fiction

Rating: 4.5 stars

Publisher: William Morrow

 

The Rose Code is my first book by Kate Quinn and I have to say it won't be my last. What drew me to The Rose Code was the fact that it was historical fiction focusing on three fictional women who it turns out were based on real women who worked at Bletchley Park. Helping to break code during WWII. A part of history in fiction  I've been fascinated with sense I read The London Restoration and I want   more.  An though The Rose Code is fiction it’s easy to imagine what  the real life people who inspired the novel went through.  In the novel Olsa Kendall, Mab Churt and Beth Finch not only have to keep secret about what they do at Bletchley park  from their families and boyfriends. They also have to keep secret what they work on in their huts from the others who work at Bletchley Park. I

 

I loved how the novel slipped between the war years and what was going on at BP to the days leading up to the royal wedding, though princess Elizabeth wedding was mentioned it didn't take away from the story of Olsa, Mab and Beth it actually added to it. Though out the course of the novel the three women grew and change despite the past that shaped them. Mab from her simple upbringing, Beth from an overbearing parent and Osla's status as a debutante, each wants to do what they can for the war to prove not only to themselves but to those around them.    Women did pretty much everything it seems for the war effort and until recently what they did at BP was a national secret.  I hope readers discover The Rose Code and the amazing fictional women in its pages inspired by even more amazing real life women who helped Britain win the war.  

No comments:

Post a Comment