Monday, April 12, 2021

City of Villians by Estelle Laure Review

Title:  City of Villains

Author:  Estelle Laure

Ch: 28

Pg:  240

Series: City of Villains

Genre:  retelling 

Rating: 3.5 stars

Publisher: Disney-Hyperion

 

I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would as fairy tale and Disney retellings have been hit or miss for me lately. But City of Villains by Estelle Laure was a hit. I enjoyed the noir crime novel aspect of the book. Mary Elizabeth and Bella have this weird detective duo going on and I love it. I want more of those two in the next book in the series.

 

As the first book in the series it is a little slow, but that’s to be expected of a first book in a series as it sets up the world and develops the characters. And of course like most first books in a series there’s a cliff hanger, but with this being a bit of retelling and backstories as well as a slight crime novel you won’t a bit of a cliff hanger to get to come back for more.

 

This is indeed a YA novel so there is more than its fair share of teenage drama. That I didn’t care for and not just because I’m older than your typical YA reader, because I didn’t even care for teenage drama in my YA novels when I was a teen. But to me that’s the only con of the book. But I loved Mary Elizabeth and Bella enough to overlook it. Because City of Villains gave me a different take on Captain Hook’s back story. And I’m always a sucker for a new twist on Hook’s story. Since I’m still convinced that Hook was never the villain of the Peter Pan story.

 

 

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment