Monday, November 28, 2022

The Brilliance of Stars by J'nell Ciesielski review

 


Title:  The Brilliance of Stars

Author: J’nell Ciesielski  

Ch: 28 plus prologue and epilogue

Pg:  400

Series: Jack and Ivy book 1

Genre:  Historical Fiction

Rating: 5 stars

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

 

“She kissed Jack hard on the mouth, then aimed her Beretta over his shoulder and fired a round of shots down the medieval corridor of Dobruzov Castle.”

This first line gives me Black Widow and Winter Soldier vibes. So, if that’s what the author was going for, it worked. I normally don’t include first lines in my reviews but this one needed it because I feel like it adds to my review. Because that first line hooked me from the get-go, and that rare.

Ivy is a woman of her time but she’s also quite capable. And Jack knows this doesn’t overstep. Which in my book makes him the perfect hero?. And it doesn’t hurt that books play a part. As both are readers. It’s rare to get a hero in historical fiction that’s a reader who has a balance of intelligence and strength. A sniper needs both. And that’s what we get in Jack. I do believe Jack Vale has become my new favorite historical hero.

The Brilliance of Stars gave me everything I love in historical fiction spies, Russia, Eastern Europe war. Loved that this one takes place during WWI which we don’t have enough of.

In The Brilliance of Stars J’nell gave me something the MCU failed to give me. A chance for the Winter Soldier/ Bucky has a chance to fall in love. She gave me the Winter Soldier and Black Widow vibes that was missing.

 

 

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment