Saturday, October 5, 2019

Christy by Catherine Marshall: Read along Discussion

 Christy Readalong tag




Discussion Format: Your Favorite Quotes, general impressions, and three questions for each week's reading 

Favorite Quotes*
Probably for the first time in my life there won’t be any temptation for me to spend money. It will be good for me.


General Impressions 
 The first four chapters to me seemed to be a little slow but its because it's setting up the story. But it does seem like Christy's parent's don't really want her to go.  I also liked that Christy was determined to walk to Cutter gap  with the postman in the snow because she was determined to honor her promise to teach school.  And on a personal note I am enjoying reading the notes that my mom left in her copy that also happened to be my grandma's before hers. So I've been able to read notes left by two women in my family who read the book before and even add my own.

Questions
1.What do you think of the narrator/perspective for the prologue? Would you prefer to jump right into the story, or do you think the prologue is effective in piquing your interest?
1.       I thought the prologue was  a neat perspective because it gave a small hint about how the book could possibly end.  It was effective in piquing my interest. 
2
22. What are you first impressions of Christy and her goals?  
1.     My first impressions of Christy is that right now her goal is to teach in Cutter Gap  and she’s determined to get there, but  beyond that it doesn’t seem like she really knows what she wants for the future. 
If3.  you were in the Cabin when Bob Allen is brought in, how would you react? Would you lend the doctor a hand?  Watch the surgery in fascination? Step out the door as fast as you could? 
 At first I think I would be shocked but I do like to think that I would be able to lend the doctor a hand.  I do know that I would watch the surgery with fascination. 



*
*Catheriine Marshall. Christy.(NewYork: Avon, 1968). 9

6 comments:

  1. How special to be reading a book that your grandmother and mother passed on to you. And NOTES!!! Extra special! Love the quote you chose! It made me laugh. I do hope that the book becomes more interesting for you. It is a bit slow, but so rich in characters and setting.

    Julie @ http://myfavoritepastime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it's started to pick up this second week.

      Delete
  2. Love the quote you chose! I can relate. ;)

    I agree that these first chapters have a slower pace, but also that they do a lovely job in setting the scene. I admire Christy's determination too! And that is so wonderful that your copy of the book has your mom's and grandma's notes. ♥ That must make the reading experience extra meaningful! I LOVE that you're adding your own notes too!

    As for your response to the third question, you are quite brave!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked as a CNA at the end of high school and college. So medical stuff has never really bothered me. I was always the one who would help take care of my grandparents when they would have surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat! And I'm sure your family has really appreciated your knowledge and willingness to help. ♥

      ~Amber

      Delete
    2. They did and me being able to help out blessed me as well.

      Delete