Monday, October 28, 2019

Review of Burning Sky


Burning SkyTitle:  Burning Sky 

Author: Lori Benton 

Pages: 416

Genre: Christian Historical fiction 

Rating: 4 stars 

Publisher:  Waterbrook

Burning Sky is the second book that I've read by Lori Benton that I've read and it is her first book.  Willa Obenchian who was renamed Burning Sky when she was abducted by the Mohawk has returned to the New York Frontier that she called home before she was kidnapped. Along the way, she rescues Neil MacGregor and his dog.  However, not everyone is happy that Willa has come back from the dead so to speak.  Many of her former friends see her as ruined goods from her time among the Mohawk.  Others still want her father's land and will go to any means to get it.

I enjoyed this one but I didn't like it as much as I did the first book that I read, but I did like the fact that she wrote about the Mohawk and other Natives in a truthful and respectable way.  Not many historical fiction writers do that.  They seem to want to make the Natives the villain of the story from the get-go even if actual history wasn't that black and white. There were a lot of gray areas. History can't be tied up in a neat little bow even if we would want it to.  

Most readers might think that there's a slight love triangle in the novel, but to me, there wasn't one at least not from Willa's point of view. 

I look forward to reading other books by this author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment