Sunday, October 20, 2019

Discussion 3- Christy Read Along

  Christy Read long Tag


Christy: Chapters 12-18
Discussion Format, your favorite Quotes, General Impressions, and three answers for each week’s reading.
Favorite Quotes*
The Mountain type of friendship was a tie of substance between people with a sort of gallant fealty about it.
General Impressions
In this section of the reading I’ve noticed that Christy is slowly starting to find  her place and is realizing how she can reach not only her students, but the adults of the Cove.   Her willingness to teach Fairlight Spencer how to read. That she realizes that her students have needs that go beyond school children in a city.  The fact that she sews buttons on Mounties coat during the lunch break.
The feud between the two families of the cove doesn’t really shock me as that was normal for that area. And because I call the state home that was the site of one of the biggest and bloodiest feud in history: The Hatfields and McCoys.
Discussion Questions
Answer any or all three of these questions in the comments sections or your own blog post
1.  Of Christy’s Students, which one has left the biggest impression on you so far, whether positive or negative?
 There are two students that have left an impression on me that I think is positive.  One being Mountie O’Teale excitement over the buttons that Christy sewed on her coat and the scarf.  And Creed being upset about his dog, because I could have seen myself responding the way he did when I was his age. And Christy sending word to his parents to bury the dog deeper.
2.  What are your thoughts on the Sewing Circle? If you were in attendance, how might you contribute to the gathering (hosting, providing snacks, reading scripture, sharing ideas)? How might you interact with the women of the Cove?
I think the sewing circle is neat. It gives the women of the cove a chance to get together and hear the Bible being read.   I might contribute by hosting, and providing snacks because I like to cook, bake and put together snacks. As well as share ideas because I love to quilt another gift my mom passed on to me. I would stay reading scripture but I don’t like to read out loud because I still have a bit of stutter left over from childhood that has a habit of reappearing  when I read out loud.
3.  Which character’s attitude and perspective has inspired you the most so far in the book?
Fairlight Spencer attitude and perspective has inspired me the most in the book. Because her bravely as adult wanting to learn to read. And then doing what she can to improve that skill even outside Christy’s lessons. Because to me once you learn to read you can continue to learn.  My grandpa instill a love of reading in me, he only had an eight grade education and he was one of the smartest person I knew.

*Catheriine Marshall. Christy.(NewYork: Avon, 1968). 228

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Carissa! You chose a neat quote that definitely encompasses the theme of friendships and getting to know people, as you mentioned. :) You make some great points about Christy's strides in the community and Fairlight's admirable qualities. I love that your grandpa was the one to instill a love of reading in you. He sounds like a wonderful man! And it sounds like you would have lots to contribute to the Sewing Circle. It would be so fun if those of us in the read-along could step into the book and take part! :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing circles during that time period and before was a way for women to catch up after the harvest and use as a way to help the next woman getting married family finished her wedding quilt. My great grandma until her RA got to bad ran a quilting circle with a quilting frame that could be raised or lowered in her parlor do to a pulley system. She grew up Mennonite.

      My grandfather was a wonderful man sadly we lost him in 2016 after a brief battle with cancer.

      Delete
  2. I love the quote you chose. Wasn't that a great part of the story? Creed burying his dog with it's tail sticking out! ha! I laughed, but felt bad also for the poor kid. Loved Christy's note to the parents for sure! Learning to read opens so many doors for sure. Love that Christy could teach Fairlight. See ya next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me the friendships in this book is what makes it such a wonderful read despite the hard topics and hard way of life for many of the people in the book.

      Delete