Friday, August 9, 2019

Notthingham review


Nottingham by Nathan Makaryk | GoodreadsTitle:  Nottingham

Author:  Nathan Makaryk

Pages: 496

Genre: retellings

Rating: 2 stars

I wanted to love this one. I've been a Robin Hood fan since childhood. (thanks dad)  I've since every movie with the newest one being my favorite  with the Disney cartoon being a close second. I'm working my way through the BBC series right now. So I picked Nottingham up to see what new twist could be added to the Robin Hood legend. I will admit I loved some of the background on the characters and I loved that we got chapters from each. But to me there were just too many character point of views.  From characters to me felt like secondary characters.  There were parts of Marian's characters that  I loved that she was strong and determined and not a damsel in distress and spoiler: with the outlaws from the beginning. But there were parts like the choice that she made at the end that didn't seem like the Marian from the beginning.  This Robin wasn't my favorite but he was realistic he was a solider hardened  and scared  by war. 

However,  Gisbourne  was  pretty much the same way he always is and I loved that. I think that's what made him my favorite never thought I say that in this book.  I thought the ending was a little rushed  and even though I didn't like the way it ended, The ending fit the way that the story was going.  I don't think at that point it could have ended any other way.  I'm still on the look for a Robin Hood retelling that I love, but I am willing to give this author another try and will read any future books by this author.   But just because I didn't like it doesn't mean that another reader won't love it. Their view of the Robin Hood legend could be different than mine and this book is what they've always wanted. 

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment