Friday, March 13, 2020

Peackeepers at War: Beirut 1983-The Marine Commander Tells His story review


Peacekeepers At War: Beirut 1983- The Marine Commander Tells His StoryTitlePeackeepers at War: Beirut 1983-The Marine Commander Tells His story 

Author: Timothy J Geraghty, Alfred M. Gray Jr. (Contributor) 

Pages:272

Genre: Nonfiction/memoir 

Rating: 4 stars 

Publisher:  Potomac Books

Peackeepers at War: Beirut 1983-The Marine Commander Tells His story by Timothy J Geraghty is a first-hand account from the Commander who was on the ground in Beirut leading the Marines when the bombing occurred.  This is an account of what happened before, during and immediately after. As well as months and even years later. 

It was until the 2000s that he was able to tell his story his side of what happened. As he was pretty made to be the scapegoat.  How looking back the Beirut bombing was one of the first terrorist attacks against the US because our Marines won't in Beirut as an act of war they were part of a peacekeeping force sent to help prevent Lebanese citizens from Syria and Iran.  And because there was no retribution for the people behind it, it shaped not just the US but the world and lead to the current war on terrorism because no retribution was given for the bombing. 

This was a hard book for me to read, but to me, it was worth it, because even though it happened before I was born the events in this book shaped my life. The actions of the military commanders and the President at the time or lack of actions. Of the Marines killed five were from my home state, two from my home city, one of whom my dad had gone through basic training with and another that was a distant cousin on my mom's side of the family.  This is one of the first nonfiction books that I've read in a while that's actually caused me to cry. As well as it being a little personal for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment