Monday, March 9, 2020

You are Worth it review


You Are Worth It: Building a Life Worth Fighting ForTitle:  You Are Worth it: Building a Life worth fighting For 

Author: Kyle Carpenter with Don Yaeger 

Chapters: 18 plus intro and parting thoughts 

Pages: 320

Genre: memoir 

Rating: 5 stars 

Publisher:  Harper Collins 

You are worth it: Building a Life Worth Fighting for is a memoir by Kyle Carpenter who happens to be the youngest living Medal of Honor recipient. But this book is more than just a memoir.  I listened to the audio of the book and it's read by Kyle so you get to hear his story in his own words.   Kyle's story shows that an act of heroism can happen in the blink of an eye without thinking however he stresses that he didn't join the Marines thinking about being a hero nor receiving medals no one he stresses wants to receive medals you just want to get your brother on your left and right and yourself home in one piece. What stuck with me after finishing the audio is that everyone on earth is Worth it. Worth it, as applied to this book, is that Kyle was saying that every American and the people of Afghanistan were what he went through to have freedom. 

I listened to the audio book so I don't know what my experience would have been like if I had read the book instead, I do know it would have been different I just don't know how different.  Listening to the audio book there were times I was laughing and times in which tears were pouring down my face. I'm pretty sure the parts that made me cry would still have made me cry while reading the book but I don't know if the funny lines would have been as funny reading them instead of hearing them in Kyle's voice.  One of my favorite lines in the book was his mom saying something about the gray hair he was giving her. And I think it’s safe to most kids have heard their mom say that at one point or another. 

You are Worth it is a memoir worth reading and everyone can get something out of this book. I recommend the audio version and I'm picky about my audio book narrators, but nonfiction audio books are best when narrated by the author.   And listening/reading this book I am reminded again how much we owe our Servicemen and women and our veterans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment