Monday, June 28, 2021

Better than the movies by Lynn Painter review

 Title:  Better than the Movies

Author:  Lynn Painter

Ch: 18 plus epilogue

Pg:  368

Genre:  YA Contemporary

Rating: 4.5 stars

Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books for Young readers

 

I'm not going to lie I love cheesy 80s and 90s Rom Coms and some of the ones from the 2000s, and I blame my mom for my love of them.  And Better than the Movies is a book that I wish teenage me had.   Liz reminded me so much of my teenage self.   I tend to not like rom coms or books with the guy or girl next or with make overs in them. However Better than the Movies didn't fall into to the stereotype even though it used those tropes. Even though Wes was the boy next door it wasn't friends to more which is a trope that I've never liked mainly because when I've seen it played out in real life in high school or college it never ends good and you lose a friendship. But I can't say it was enemies to more either. It's wasn't really either one which is why I liked it. And the makeover wasn't so much a makeover as just a way for a character to find their confidence that  had always been there just hidden. 

 

Like I said where was this book when I was a teen and why couldn't I get a book to movie adaption of this when I was a teen.  I know why because it was YA Rom Com that went against stereotypical tropes or turned them on their head and made the story unique  and its own. YA needs more books like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment