Monday, December 23, 2019

Book's I DNF'd this year


     Which is something that I normally don’t do, but there were a few books this year that for one reason or another I just couldn’t finish. (They say not every book is for every reader). And these are my opinions and what I took away from the books.

Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey
 The Premise for this one sounded good and I do love romcoms but for some reason this one just didn’t click with me. It’s possible that I tried to read it at the wrong time so this one I may try to read again.



The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman 
The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi WaxmanThe premise of this one also sounded good but the main character drove me nuts.


Cherokee Summer by Susan Antony
Cherokee Summer - eBookIn this one, one of the Main Characters is a member of the Cherokee tribe. However, I could find any information anywhere on rather or not the not the author is of Native decent.  And since the novel is told from both the point of view of both John and Ace it’s not own voices and I’m getting to the point in my life if I’m going to read a book with a Native main character I want the author to be Native. And to me it just had way too much teenage drama. I know it’s a YA but even for a YA novel it was too much.



American Royals by Katherine McGee
American Royals by Katharine McGee The Title alone should have told me that I wouldn’t like it. But I wanted to give it a chance.  I made it half way through but I stopped reading.  The premise even sounded absurd to me, I’m sorry there is no way that George Washington would have become king of the United States, he’d just defeated a monarchy and he was also the president who refused a third term when they offered it to him.  And beside the house of Washington wouldn’t have lasted as Washington didn’t have any children. The grand children they raised were the children of Martha ‘s children from her first marriage.   Not to mention the book makes no mention that I could find that Maratha’s great-granddaughter  Mary Randolph Custis Lee only surviving child of Maratha’s grandson George Washington Parke Custis the son of Martha’s son from her first marriage and she out lived all her children  married Robert E Lee. Which in theory would mean that the house of Washington in the book would have technically become the house of Lee and would have sided with the south. So even the alternative history in this novel doesn’t really make sense.



Dear George, Dear Mary: A Novel of George Washington’s First Love by Mary Calvi
Dear George, Dear Mary by Mary Calvi  I thought this would be a neat read. Through I don’t remember a Mary Philipse from any of my history classes. But what I wasn’t ready for was a book that basically implied that George only joined the patriot cause do a to failed relationship with Mary as well as implying that he cheated on his wife with said person.



The Warrior Maiden by Melanie Dickerson (Mulan retelling)

The Warrior Maiden (Audiobook)I wanted to live this one because I’ve liked her fairy tale retellings in the past. But this retelling just like the previous one The Orphan’s Wish (Aladdin retelling) I just found too much wrong with changing the original tales.  That while fairy tales can be interrupted different ways and retold different ways there are some in which the retellings still need to stick to culture and place in which they were originally set, The Orphan’s Wish at least Aladdin (the main character was from the Middle East and was brought to Europe during the crusades. However, in The Warrior Maiden Mulan is half European and half Asian but it’s almost like her Asian heritage is pushed to the back. 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't love 'Nina Hill' at all, though I did REALLY want too. *sigh* Always fun when we can find a bookish character, but for me, this one just doesn't work. Still want to try "American Royals," but I suspect like you, I'll find it a bit annoying, too. :D

    ReplyDelete