Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Clara's Soldier review


Title:  Clara’s Soldier: A Retelling of The Nutcracker

Author:  Brittany Fichter

Ch: 13

Pg:  164

Genre:  Retelling

Rating: 4 Stars

    Clara’s Soldier by Brittany Fichter is a retelling of the Nutcracker set just after WWII and I have to say it’s one of my favorite Nutcracker retellings. The historical time period of WWII especially the post war time makes the perfect setting for a retelling.

    I’ve always loved the Nutcracker every December my mom would take me to see the ballet and read the book countless times during the same month. As well as the cartoon. So this book was perfect for adult me. A book I read in one day. To me The Nutcracker has been a story that has always leaned towards balancing reality and fantasy and this book was no different.

    I do want to mention something that may be considered a slight spoiler but I feel that it is a necessary warning. The fantasy part of this story as in The Nutcracker realm happens in the form of PTSD filled nightmares of a soldier that Clara crash lands in.


No comments:

Post a Comment