Thursday, November 26, 2020

Dorothy and Jack: The Transforming Friendship of Dorothy L. Sayers and C.S. Lewis review


Title: Dorothy and Jack: The Transforming Friendship of Dorothy L. Sayers and C.S. Lewis

Author: Gina Dalfonzo

Ch: 7

Pg: 208

Genre:  Nonfiction, Biography

Rating: 3.5 Stars

Publisher: Baker books

 

I knew that Dorothy L. Sayers was a mystery author who rivaled Christie mostly because her mysteries novel graced my mom's bookshelves. And I knew that C.S. Lewis was an author however I was not introduced to Lewis's writing as a kid with the Narnia books (a book series I still haven't read). I was included to his writing with A Grief Observed which I read as adult after losing my mom.  As well as an introduced in the historical fiction novel Becoming Mrs. Lewis: The Improbable Love Story of Joy Davidman and C. S. Lewis by 

Patti Callahan

 

     So I knew nothing of the friendship between Dorothy L. Sayers and C.S. Lewis so I was willing to pick this one up and learn more. I have to say I was not disappointed.  Reading this and learning more about both C.S. Lewis and Dorothy L. Sayers I know want to read her mysteries books and pick up some more Lewis's nonfiction and possibly finally read The Chronicles of Narnia.

 

Cause I mean Lewis was the one who said "Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.” and “A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.” I take that to mean a well written children's book can be read and enjoyed by anyone. 

 

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

 

Quotes from C.S. Lewis as found listed on Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/1069006.C_S_Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment